Motor Tax Banner Motor Tax
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text

Home : Motor Tax : Motor Tax Refunds


Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to your local motor tax office when;

1. The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the state;
2. The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner;
3. A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out and has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc
4. The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability to use the vehicle or;
5. The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the State for business or educational purposes to use the vehicle, or;
6. The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.


1. A completed application form witnessed at Garda Station should be submitted together with appropriate documentation depending on category of application.
2. A minimum of three unexpired whole calendar months must be left on the disc when surrendered

The Refund Form - RF120 must accompany all applications.

Additional notes to accompany Tax Refund form RF120

File Size: 239KB - Document Type: Acrobat pdf