Development of Naas Town Hall as new Library and Cultural Centre
The contracts for the construction phase of the Naas Library and Cultural Centre are currently being drawn up and it is hoped to have the contractor on site in the near future. The development of a new Library and Cultural Centre in the historic Town Hall will be a sustainable driver of heritage, cultural and amenity pursuits in a welcoming and attractive space at the heart of the town. The current library located in the Harbour has outgrown the building due to the growing demands in Naas, this building will be repurposed for an appropriate use.
The project serves three purposes
1) to provide a library and cultural space meeting the needs of a modern community
2) to transform a heritage building of immense historic significance into an iconic community resource
3) to provide an impetus to transform the area surrounding Naas Town Hall.
The development of the new library will play a transformative role in the town’s confidence, capacity and sustainable growth, generating a dynamic cultural life that will enhance the town’s retail, hospitality and tourism offer.
This capital project will provide 2,046 sqm of cultural and community public realm space delivered in the heart of the town broken into 1,275.3 sqm indoor space and 770 sqm of outdoor public realm space.
The library will provide the following services and spaces
- Adult and young adult library providing the necessary resources to accommodate, recreational, information, cultural and educational needs in an inviting and modern space.
- Multifunctional children’s library which will provide various media and also provide wet facilities for cultural activities, IT services, access to digital technologies and toddler storytelling zone.
- Digital suite to support digital skills development by providing access to the latest technologies including 3D printing, virtual reality and digital and audio editing, offering space for technology, training and innovation.
- Wifi enabled PC’s throughout the facility
- Study and Research area to support individuals, study zones will be distributed through the facility and will provide dedicated quiet research zones.
- Capacity for a small meeting room.
- Larger meeting room which can flow into a multipurpose space using wall break system.
- Multifunctional space to provide accommodation for larger audiences for lectures, community events and cultural activities. (Capacity for 140 individuals).
- Gallery/exhibition space providing a focus for cultural and artistic development providing a valuable resource to allow community expression.
- Employment and Enterprise Resource Service offering meeting spaces, computers, Wi-Fi, printing/scanning facility, research collections online and traditional, hot desking, programming, training facilities and break out rooms.
- Self-issue library member facilities including printing and IT services.
- Naas Community Library and Cultural Centre is the pilot for Changing Places facilities in Kildare County Council. Changing Places facilities provide a real improvement on standard accessible toilets as they provide a larger floor area of 12m² and additional equipment such as a height-adjustable adult-sized changing bench, a full room coverage ceiling track hoist system, a centrally located toilet bowl with space either side for transfers/assistants and a safe and clean environment.
- Outdoor performance, market and workshop space
The project costs will be €5.9m including the design, construction, fit-out and purchase of the library collections.
25% of the project cost has been ring fenced in Kildare County Council’s Capital Development Plan 2019-2021 and the remaining funding has been granted under the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund (URDF).