Repair and Leasing Scheme for Vacant Houses
Kildare County Council is now inviting applications for the Repair and Leasing Scheme (RLS). The RLS is a key action under the Government's Rebuilding Ireland: An Action Plan for Housing and Homelessness. The objectives of this scheme are to deliver social housing quickly using long lease arrangements and to utilise existing housing stock to the maximum degree possible.
Kildare County Council will be delivering the RLS in association with Approved Housing Bodies. The maximum cost of repairs allowable under this initiative is €40,000. Property inspections will be carried out by the nominated Approved Housing Body who will identify the works required to bring the dwelling to the required standard.
The basis of the scheme is that the cost of agreed and vouched repair and improvement works are met by an Approved Housing Body funded by Kildare County Council, the cost of the work is then deducted incrementally from the lease payments over an agreed lease term.
There are a number of requirements in relation to the scheme:
- The property has to be vacant for at least 12 months, prior to submission.
- Social housing demand for the property must exist.
- The property has to be assessed as being viable to provide social housing.
- All leases will be for a duration of between 10-20 years.
- Properties must require limited works only, and be capable of being delivered within a 6 month time-frame.
- The lease payment is based on 80% (85% for apartments) of the current market rental rates for similar properties.
- A further adjustment to the lease payment is made to off-set the cost of the upgrade work until the cost of the work has been repaid.
- The scope and cost of the works, and the recoupment of the works cost through the lease payments, will be agreed between the owner and the Approved Housing Body.
- In the event that a vacant property is approved for inclusion in the RLS, Kildare County Council will have 100% nomination rights to the property.
For further details of this scheme please contact Kildare County Council’s Housing Leasing Team at 045-980338 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to be included in the 2017 programme please submit your completed application form no later than the 21 April 2017, applications received after this date, may be considered for next year's programme, subject to suitability. Please note that applications must be accompanied by recent photographs of the interior, exterior and garden. Application forms are available on by clicking hereBack to other News Items