KILCULLEN was formerly of considerable strength; it had seven gates, only one of which remains, being ten feet wide, with a handsome arch. Maurice Jakis, Canon of Kildare, constructed in 1319, a bridge over the Liffey, about a mile north-west of the town, from which time Old Kilcullen went to decay.
THE round tower here has three stories and one rest; it is forty feet
high, forty-four in circumference, three feet six inches in thickness,
and the door seven feet from the ground. The present Church has a
curious Arch standing in it, the interior circle of which is divided
into lozenges adorned with various sculptures, but so defaced as not to
IN the church-yard are the fragments of crosses, one is eleven feet long, ornamented with sculptures; and on the south side of the church is a carved stone, fifteen feet long, with the figure of a man in armour.
Church and Round Tower at Kilcullen
(pp. 27-28, Vol. II)Groses's Antiquities of Ireland Back To The Heritage Homepage