IN 1316, Bruce led his Scots to Noas, being conducted by the Lacies, where they staid some days, spoiling churches, opening tombs in search of treasure, and at last burnt the town.
In 1419, Richard Talbot, Archbishop of Dublin and Lord Deputy, held a Parliament here, which granted a subsidy of three hundred marcs. In 1648, the Earl of Ormond secured Noas with a garrison, and placed in it a new Sovereign, eight Burgesses, and fifty families of despoiled protestants. Soon after it was at different times taken and plundered by contending parties.
THE Abbey here was a house founded in 1484 for Austin Hermits; it was erected at the farther end of the town at the foot of a Mount. Scarcely any thing is standing but the belfry and a wall. The belfry is entered by a Gothic arch, on each side of which is a staircase leading up to the rooms, in number three. A Mount, it has before been observed, was the usual appendage to abbies. A cut from the grand canal passes by the abbey at no great distance.
Abbey at Noas Illustration
(pp. 26-27, Vol. II)Groses's Antiquities of Ireland Back To The Heritage Homepage