The original Tower was built by Sir Gerald Aylmer c1624. It was extensively damaged in 1641, re built in 1773,and gothicised in 1827 by the architect Sir Richard Morrison.
After Caroline Aylmers death in 1935 the castle remained unoccupied and was de-roofed in the late 50’s. Adjacant to the castle is a 19th century four-storey tower. To the rear of the castle are some fine outbuildings including the remains of a walled garden.