| My name is Patricia Keenan and
I am the Waterways Regeneration Officer for the Grand Canal and Barrow
Line. I began work in September 1999 and since then have been involved
with several community organisations in developing project aimed at
developing the canal in their area. Projects have included environmental
improvement schemes and liaison with Waterways Ireland and County
Councils on behalf of local communities.
My role is: -
If you would like further information or discuss projects in your
area please do not hesitate to contact me.
- to increase awareness of the Grand Canal and the Barrow Line
as public amenities.
- to promote the concept of regeneration of the canal corridor
- to encourage participation by public, private and community
interests in the regeneration of the canal corridor.
- to encourage, organise and promote the widest possible use
of the canals for recreational, sporting and cultural use.
- to liaise with local authorities, local development associations,
tourism authorities, the Inland Waterways Association and other
interested parties to promote and encourage a co-ordinated approach
to canal regeneration.
- to liaise with the Waterways Service in regard to local development
proposals and securing approval and support in project proposals.
- to organise information seminars and events which will inform
local communities and private individuals of opportunities on
- to provide technical assistance to local organisations in the
development of project proposals and implementing these schemes.
- to promote the image of the Grand Canal and the Barrow Line
in the local and national media.