Police Company DFTC (MP Coy DFTC)
The role of the Military Police began during the period before the outbreak of civil war in 1922 , when barracks were
being taken over from the British Forces.
Suitable members of the Defence Forces were enrolled as
Military Policemen, (20) in Dublin and (30) in the Curragh Camp. Their
duties consisted mainly of town patrols and special
escort duties (still being performed today).
The Military Police Corps proper was
established in 1923. In
1931 the Military Police Corps was changed, by regulation, to an
administrative service and was then called the Military Police Service. The
organisation of the Military Police Corps varied over the years with
general Defence Force re-organisation.
The Military Police were responsible for the internment of nationals and
non-nationals during the war. Two internment camps were built in the Curragh Camp, one for members of
the Irish Republican Army and the other for the detention of allied
and axis airmen who landed in Éire. Due to Éire’s declaration of neutrality these airmen were
considered prisoners of war and would be detained in order to prevent
them from rejoining the war effort.
In 1974 the Depot
Military Police Corps & Military Police School was relocated to its
present home, Alexandra House in the Curragh Camp. The Military Detention Barracks (or the “glasshouse” as
it was known because of its distinctive glass roof” was a purpose
built prison constructed in 1863. It operated as a detention barracks for Military detainees for
nearly 130 years and in 1972 was used to detain political prisoners.
The two Military Police
units in the Curragh Command, the Depot & School Military Police
Corps and Military Detention Barracks, were disbanded in October 1998.
The Military Police Company, DFTC was established on the 01
November 1998, which incorporated the former Military Detention
Barracks (which has been taken over by the Department of Justice and
used as a civilian prison) and the Military Police School.