Ernest Shackleton Autumn School 2016
Polar Theme for the 16th Annual Event in South Kildare
Fri 28 Oct - Mon 31 Oct 2016
- Venue Details
Athy Heritage Centre
Lectures, exhibitions and theme events to celebrate the expeditions of one of Athy's most famous sons and to mark Polar events worldwide.
The 16th Shackleton Autumn School, the only Polar School in Ireland, was established to commemorate the explorer in the county of his birth. It provides a forum for discussion and debate on polar exploration and the presentation of artistic works relevant to Shackleton and his time. Events include a series of lecturers, film, exhibitions, drama, a bus tour and annual dinner.
2016s exhibition, 'By Endurance We Conquer: Shackleton and his Men' has received both public and critical praise featuring all the men of the expedition on display panels with additional information on touchscreens. The exhibition draws on original material and images from the Scott Polar Research Institute's collection and currently has objects from private collections on display.
Some of the events in this year's programme:
- “Explorers' Sketchbooks: The Art of Discovery and Adventure ” by Dr Huw Lewis-Jones
- “Triumph from Disaster: Shackleton and the Endurance Expedition ” by Meredith Hooper
- “White and Green Warfare in 1916: the story of Tom Crean & Thomas Ashe” by Frank Nugent
- “Finding Franklin - The untold story of a 165 year search" by Dr Russell Potter
- “What makes a successful explorer?” Mick Conefrey
- 'Icebreakers' A series of short presentations presented by those with a passion for their subject.
- “The Last Husky Dog Journey on the Antarctic Continent” by John Killingbeck
- 'Life after Shackleton: The Conservation and Travels of the James Caird' by Simon Stephens
- “The 9,000 mile museum:Caring for our Antarctic Heritage" by Camilla Nicholl
- 'Ernest Shackleton and Adrien de Gerlache - A Belgian Connection' by Dr.Jozef Verlinden
- Film ‘ Towards the Coldest Place on Earth ‘
- Open Forum – Chaired by Bob Headland
- Bus tour through Shackleton country.
Event proudly supported by Kildare County Council.
Back to Archive
Event Contact Details
Please use the contact details below if they differ from the venue contact details.