Skip links and go to Page Content

Thom's Trade Directory 1849 - County of Kildare

County Kildare History and Heritage

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages



DONANEY, or DONENY, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER PHILIPSTOWN, King's county, but chiefly in that of WEST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.W. by S.) from Kildare, on the road to Athy: containing 676 inhabitants.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, and is part of the union of Lackagh; the rectory is appropriate to the bishop. The tithes amount to £130.18., of which £87.5. is payable to the bishop, and £43.12.8. to the vicar. There are three acres of glebe.

In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Monasterevan. About 70 boys and 30 girls are educated in a private school. There are some remains of an ancient church: also the ruins of a castle, and a large mansion-house now gone to decay, which was once occupied by the family of Browne.

Return to Towns & Villages