librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

The 1798 Rebellion in County Kildare

Town/Village Index of the Rebellion of 1798 - Clonard, Carbury and Surrender

On Tuesday night the 9th July, the last remnants of the great Wexford/Wicklow army left their camp at Whelp Rock and marched into County Kildare. They joined Aylmers army on the 10th July and spent the night in the camp at Timahoe, where it was decided to attack Clonard the following morning. Some of the more militant of the Kildare men like John Doorly of Lullymore, marched northwards into Meath in an attempt to rouse the country.

At approximately 11 am on the morning of the 11th July, around 4,000 rebels attacked the fortified house at Leinster Bridge near Clonard. Under the command of Lieutenant Tyrell, the garrison consisted of a meagre force of about 40, including some of Tyrells family. A desperate struggle, lasting nearly 6 hours, ended in defeat for the rebels. The rebels had 160 killed and 60 wounded, whereas the loyalists had 2 killed and 3 wounded, one of whom died later. The rebels retreated to Carbury where they spent the night.

The next morning, the 12th of July, this force crossed back into Meath and camped at Knockderrig Hill. Here they were surprised and routed by the military under Lieutenant Colonel Gough. He reported that they were commanded at Knockderrig by "Colonel Aylmer, Captain Dooley (Doorly??), Kerns, a priest, Captain Looby (sic) and Fitzgerald. They returned to Timahoe shortly after and Aylmer, Luby and Fitzgerald surrendered themselves at Sallins on Sunday 21st July; leaders of the last major rebel army in the field until the arrival from France of General Humbert in August.

Published by Kildare County Council

Written by Mario Corrigan .