librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Groses's Antiquities of Ireland: - County Kildare in the 1790's

ABBEY AND MOUNT AT, NOAS, KILDARE.

 

THIS is a populous thriving town, and was in ancient times a place of note, being the residence of the Kings of Leinster. Soon after the arrival of the English, Noas was erected into a manor; for Henry II. in 1176 gave the barony of Noas to William Fitz Gerald. He strongly fortified it, and built castles and towers in different parts of it. IN 1316, Bruce led his Scots to Noas, being conducted by the Lacies, where they staid some days, spoiling churches, opening tombs in search of treasure, and at last burnt the town. Abbey And Mount At, Noas, Kildare - CLICK TO ENLARGE
In 1419, Richard Talbot, Archbishop of Dublin and Lord Deputy, held a Parliament here, which granted a subsidy of three hundred marcs. In 1648, the Earl of Ormond secured Noas with a garrison, and placed in it a new Sovereign, eight Burgesses, and fifty families of despoiled protestants. Soon after it was at different times taken and plundered by contending parties.
THE Abbey here was a house founded in 1484 for Austin Hermits; it was erected at the farther end of the town at the foot of a Mount. Scarcely any thing is standing but the belfry and a wall. The belfry is entered by a Gothic arch, on each side of which is a staircase leading up to the rooms, in number three. A Mount, it has before been observed, was the usual appendage to abbies. A cut from the grand canal passes by the abbey at no great distance.
THIS View was drawn by lieutenant Daniel Grose, anno 1792.

(pp. 26-27, Vol. II)