librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text

Local Studies Department

Kildare v Laois, Leinster Senior Football Championship 1st Round
May 20, 1928

Leinster Leader, 26 May, 1928, page 7





Last Sunday's Leinster Football contests provided us with surprising close results and in both games the unexpected nearly occurred, especially at Athy, where Leix forced the All-Ireland Champions, Kildare, to go all out to win by the narrowest of margins. Dublin were equally hard pressed by Louth for theirs' was only a 2 point victory, and due largely to the brilliancy in goal of J. McDonnell.

It was a good crowd that witnessed the games at Athy. Both sides were minus some of their most prominent players, Kildare being without Paul Doyle and M. Goff, which caused a re-adjustment of their side and Joe Loughlin was seen at full forward. Leix lacked the services of Paddy Whelan and W. Irwin, and as a result J. Ward and J. Finlay were brought on at forward and goal.

The game was a stubborn one and fouls were frequent. Both sets of forwards were off colour, especially the Leix lot, whose defence gave a great display. Finlay in goal was seldom troubled, and unless the Kildare forwards can do better their chances of retaining their honours are none too rosy.

Play opened in favour of Kildare who failed on a brace of frees. The Leix defence continued to bear the brunt of the game and Bates was very prominent. Loughlin put wide when well placed, and Millar put Leix attacking and a good defence prevailed. Hereabouts the Kildare forwards missed many likely chances and a "50" to Leix went wide. Soon afterwards Bates place a free and J. Brown got on to score a fast goal. This reverse made the champions play up in better style, and after a "50" had gone wide A. O'Neill scored a point from a free. J. Loughlin put wide when a score seemed likely and then a heavy shower made things difficult just at half time when Leix led by a goal to a point.

On change of ends Kildare were first to attack, but Bates sent them back, only to see Loughlin return to put over for a point, and with the scores nearly level play became very keen. Frees wore frequent but brought no result to either side and Leix were having the better of the exchanges, Walsh being lucky to save on a couple of occasions. Malone put his side level when he scored a point from far out. Still Leix fought back, but the finish of the forwards left a lot to be desired. They failed in the easiest of chances and frees, well placed, and close in were not improved upon. There remained five minutes to go when Higgins got going and passing to Keogh saw the latter score what was the winning point. Leix made desperate efforts to draw level but failed, and were beaten by 4 points to a goal.

Mr. S.J. Donnelly (Dublin) was the referee and the teams were: --
Kildare-M. Walsh, M. Buckley, P. Martin, A. Fitzpatrick, F. Malone, J. Higgins, J. Hayes, P. Loughlin, M. Connor, J. Curtis, W. Gannon, A. O'Neill, W. Mangan, J. Loughlin and T. Keogh.
Leix-J. Finlay, J. Millar, P. Bates, D. Walsh, J. Rice, J. Shea, F. Price, W. Whelan, J. Carroll, T. Cribbin, J. Brown, J. Delaney, D. Douglas, T. Costello, J. Ward.

Leinster Leader, 26 May, 1928, page 7.
Kildare v Laois, Leinster Senior Football Championship 1st round, May 20, 1928.

Back to 1928 All-Ireland Football Championship