librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text

Local Studies Department

Kildare v Longford, Leinster Senior Football Championship
2nd Round, June 10, 1928

Leinster Leader, June 16, 1928, page 3




At Croke Park on Sunday last, Kildare experienced little difficulty in defeating Longford and so qualifying for the 1928 final, in which they meet either Wexford or Dublin. It was expected that Longford would extend the champions, who lacked the services of P. Doyle, J. Loughlin, and J. Hayes, but the expectations were not realised, for at no period of the game was the issue in doubt. Kildare showed improvement on their form against Leix, but their forwards can further improve. Mr. J. Byrne was referee and the crowd was a small one.


Kildare sent over from a free and Redahan (Longford) saved from Curtis (Kildare). Longford led away and a stinging shot by Deane was cleared by Goff. Longford backs put up a stout defence. Rogers (in goal) saved in the Longford posts, but from a "50" later Higgins cleared well and Ryan scored a goal. A Longford assault was staved off by Buckley and Kildare forced two 50's without reward. Longford could not overcome the Kildare backs. A brisk onset by Kildare brought a good goal from Pringle.

Longford took up the running and after a neatly combined move Deane put over a fine point. In saving for Kildare Goff was fouled, and the free eased for the champions. Following two "50's" for Kildare there was an exciting struggle in front of the Longford sticks. Burke and Bannon were good in the Longford defence and Rogers saved twice in goal. Receiving from a "50" by Malone, Martin added a point for Kildare. From far out on the right wing Curtis put over a point for Kildare, who led at half-time by 2-2 to 0-1 for Longford.


A free by Higgins (Kildare) was beaten off and later Higgins missed by inches from a "50". Play swung round and Grehan sent in a point for Longford. From a centre by Martin, Ryan fisted a goal for Kildare and a few minutes later, when Mangan (Kildare) boxed to the net, no score was allowed owing to an encroachment. P. Loughlin added a point for Kildare and Deane (Longford) just missed with a sparkling shot at the other end. Keogh scored a point for Kildare. Longford spoiled by fouling.

With Kildare leading by eleven points and the time running out, the game lost an interest. A run by Longford saw Walshe (Kildare custodian) effecting a splendid save from Grehan. Fitzpatrick Kildare, cleared from a Longford free and Ryan and Martin kicked points in turn from Kildare, who ran out easy winners in a disappointing game.
Mr J. Burne (Dundalk) refereed.

Kildare - W. Cannon (capt.), M. Walsh (goal), M. Buckley, M. Goff, A. Fitzpatrick, P. Loughlin, F. Malone, J. Higgins, M. Connor, J. Curtis, P. Martin, T. Keogh, W. Mangan, P. Pringle, P. Ryan.

Longford --- M. Deane (capt.), J. Dogers [Written as Dogers in Leinster Leader team line-up but written as Rogers throughout the article.] (goal), J. Regan, J. Redahan, R. Burke, M. Clarke, J. Bannon, J. McHale, E. Gaffney, N. Kyne, M. Daly, J. Clarke, M. Grehan, M. Gilleran.

Leinster Leader, June 16, 1928, page 3.

Kildare v Longford, Leinster Senior Football Championship 2nd round, June 10, 1928.

Back to 1928 All-Ireland Football Championship