librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
ARDRIE (LITTLE)

ARDRIE, (LITTLE) a parish, in the barony of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, ½ a mile (S. by E.) from Athy; containing 302 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the road from Athy to Carlow, and comprises only 295 statute acres, anciently belonged to the monastery of St. Thomas, near Dublin, and was assigned to the precentorship in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Dublin, on the institution of that dignity in 1219. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, partly appropriate to the precentorship, partly impropriate in Michael Goold Adams, Esq., and partly forming a portion of the union of St. Michael's Athy. The tithes amount to £24, of which £16 is payable to the impropriator, and £8 to the incumbent of St. Michael's; the portion appropriated to the precentorship is 154a. 2r. 8p., let on lease at an annual rent of £12.

Return to Towns & Villages