librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
CARNALLOWAY, or CARNALWAY

CARNALLOWAY, or CARNALWAY, a parish, in the barony of SOUTH NAAS, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Naas; containing 1291 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Liffey, which separates it from the parish of Old Kilcullen, and is on the turnpike road from Naas to Dunlavin. During the disturbances of 1798, a battle was fought at Nineteen-mile-House, in this parish, between a party of the insurgents and a detachment of cavalry. The parish comprises 3408 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the lands are chiefly under tillage; the soil is good, and the system of agriculture much improved; there is no waste land, but a large quantity of bog. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Bishop and of Robert La Touche, Esq.; the former having one, and the latter three turns: the tithes amount to £226.3.1. The church, a very neat edifice with a tower and spire, was built by the late John La Touche, Esq., and contains a tablet to the memory of Capt. Cooke, who fell while charging the insurgents at Kilcullen bridge in 1798. The late Board of First Fruits granted £100, in 1810, towards the erection of a glebe-house, attached to which are 10 acres of glebe. In the R.C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Newbridge. There is a parochial school, built by the late John La Touche, Esq., and supported by R. La Touche, Esq., affording instruction to about 80 children; and a school, in which are about 50 boys and 40 girls, is aided by an annual donation from the R. C. clergyman. There are also a private school, in which are about 10 boys and 10 girls, and a Sunday school. In that part of Kilcullen which is in this parish are a fever hospital and a dispensary.

Return to Towns & Villages