librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
CHURCHTOWN or RHEBAN

CHURCHTOWN, or RHEBAN, a parish, in the barony of WEST NARRAGH and RHEBAN, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with part of the post-town of Athy, 2009 inhabitants, of which number, 706 are in the town. This parish is situated on the river Barrow, and on the road from Athy to Monastereven, and contains 7245 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is the site of the ancient city and castle of Rheban, noticed in Ptolemy's map as one of the principal inland cities, the only remains of which are a deep quadrangular intrenchment, with a high conical mount at its western extremity. A fair was formerly held here on St Michael's day, but has long since been removed to Athy. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, and is one of the nine denominations which constitute the union of Athy or Nicholastown; the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £390, of which £260 is paid to the impropriator, and £130 to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions also the parish forms part of the union or district of Athy.

Return to Towns & Villages