librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
KILBERRY

KILBERRY, a parish, in the barony of NARRAGH and RHEBAN WEST, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N.W.) from Athy, on the river Barrow; containing 1732 inhabitants. It comprises 7863 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4832 per annum; about two-thirds are arable and pasture land, and one-third bog. The seats are Barrowford, the residence of B. Braddell, Esq.; Bellview, of R. Drought, Esq.; Salisbury, of Capt. Lawler; Shrowlan, of E. Pilsworth, Esq.; Geraldine, of the representatives of the late Col. Fitzgerald; and Bert House, the noble residence of Lord Downes. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the gift of the Vicars Choral of St. Patrick's Cathedral; the rectory forms part of the corps of the deanery of St. Patrick's. The tithes amount to £360, of which two-thirds are payable to the dean and one-third to the vicar. The church was opened for divine service in 1836. In the R.C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Athy. About 50 children are educated in a school that is partly supported by Lord Downes, and about 150 in two private schools. Here are the ruins of two castles; also the well of Tobbera, which is dedicated to St. John.

Return to Towns & Villages