librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
KILMAOGUE, or KILMAGUE

KILMAOGUE, or KILMAGUE, a parish, in the barony of CONNELL, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 6 ½ miles (N. by E.) from Kildare; containing 3004 inhabitants. This parish, through which the Grand Canal passes, comprises 6511 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there is much bog, and agriculture is improving. A patent exists for fairs on May 25th, June 29th, and Sept. 25th, but none are held. The principal seats are New Park, the residence of J. Pimm, Esq.; Doro Ville, of W. Ireland, Esq.; and Annsboro', of G. Nelson Wheeler, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, episcopally united in 1782 to the rectory and vicarage of Rathernon and the rectory of Lulliamore, which is a prebend in the cathedral of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £245. 14. 1., and of the benefice to £400. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 27a. 0r. 21p. The church is a plain edifice, which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners intend to rebuild. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Allen and Milltown, comprising Kilmaogue, Rathernon, Feighcullen, Rathbride, and Pollardstown, and has a large chapel at the Leap. There are two public schools, in which about 220 children are educated, and five private schools, in which are about 170 children, also a Sunday school. Here are several Danish forts. A new village is being erected in the centre of the parish, under the superintendence of the Rev. A. J. Preston, which is intended to be "a refuge for Protestants".

Return to Towns & Villages