librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
MORRISTOWN-BILLER

MORRISTOWN-BILLER, a parish, in the barony of CONNELL, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (W.) from Newbridge, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick, and on the river Liffey; containing 1302 inhabitants. This parish comprises 3436 statute acres, chiefly under tillage, with 40 acres of common, and a large tract of the bog of Allen. The improved system of agriculture having been generally adopted, the land is in good condition; fuel is plentifully obtained from the neighbouring bogs; and good brick clay is found here. Moorefield House, a handsome mansion, is the residence of Ponsonby Moore, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Crown; it is episcopally united to the rectory of Old Connell, which union is called also Morristown-Biller and Old Connell. A great portion of the parish is tithe-free; of the remainder, the tithes amount to £85; and the entire value of the benefice is £225. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £450, and a loan of £170, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1831. The church is a small edifice, in the early English style, built in 1828, by a gift of £600, and a loan of £300, from the same Board; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £287 for repairs. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Newbridge. About 30 children are educated in a school aided by private subscriptions; there is also a private school, in which are about 50 children.

Return to Towns & Villages