librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
STRAFFAN

STRAFFAN, a parish, in the barony of NORTH SALT, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.W.) from Celbridge, on the road to Naas; containing 727 inhabitants. It comprises 2212 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, which is nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture; the soil is in general a strong stiff clay. The Grand Canal passes within two, and the Royal Canal within about four, miles of the parish. The principal seats are Straffan House, the modern seat of H. Barton, Esq.; Barberstown, of Capt. Robinson; Lodge Park, of A. Henry, Esq., J.P.; and Straffan Lodge, the neat residence of Mrs. Whitelaw. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Celbridge; the rectory is impropriate in Mrs. Whitelaw; the tithes amount to £130, of which £80 is payable to the impropriator, and £50 to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Celbridge: the chapel is a neat edifice, situated in the village; connected with it is a Sunday and day school. A school for girls is supported by Mrs. Barton; and there are two private schools in which are about 60 children.

Return to Towns & Villages