librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
TIPPER

TIPPER, a parish, in the barony of NORTH NAAS, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Naas to Blessington; containing 821 inhabitants. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, partly impropriate in the Very Rev. Thos. John Burgh, dean of Cloyne, but chiefly constituting the corps of the prebend of Tipper in the cathedral of St. Patrick, Dublin, and in the patronage of the Archbishop. The tithes amount to £178, of which £26 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the prebendary. In a school supported by the Rev. R. Wolfe about 50 children are educated; and there are two private schools, in the parish in which are about 60 children. At Cradockstown and Punchstown are two remarkably large stones.

Return to Towns & Villages