The Heritage Of Education in County Kildare (Heritage Week 2020)
The theme for Heritage Week 2020 is ‘Heritage and Education: Learning From Our Heritage’. This is an ideal opportunity to celebrate our educational heritage.
County Kildare has a proud heritage of education, with hedge schools, national schools, secondary schools, St Patrick’s College all having significant impacts on Kildare life over the past two hundred years. The Local Studies & Archives Department of Kildare have compiled a short online exhibition for Heritage Week 2020 to highlight this.
Below is a selection of postcards from the collections of the Local Studies Department of Kildare Library Service that highlight the educational heritage of County Kildare.
The Local Studies & Archives Collections in Newbridge contain a diverse range of publications related to the history and heritage of education in County Kildare. Below is a sample of some of the items:
Here are some previous www.kildare.ie/ehistory articles on the ‘heritage of education’ in Kildare also.
- ‘Maynooth Charter School’ by Rita Edwards, Maynooth Local History Group https://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/maynooth-charter-school/
- Rathangan Its Churches & Schools (including link to digitised pamphlet) https://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/rathangan-its-churches-and-schools-pamphlet/
- Athy Model Schools Examinations 1859 https://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/athy-model-schools-annual-examinations-1859/
- ‘Digging In… Kildare’s Pioneering Role In Horticultural Education’ by Liam Kenny, Naas Local History Group https://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/digging-in-kildares-pioneering-role-in-horticultural-education/
- ‘John Redmond: His Schooldays’ https://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/john-redmond-his-schooldays/