by ehistoryadmin on November 30, 2017

Kildare Observer 18 August 1917 

War Notes


Second-Lieut. Maurice Cane, Royal Field Artillery, was killed in action on August 4th.  He was the only son of Colonel Claude Cane, St. Wolstan’s, Celbridge, Co. Kildare.  He was killed while fighting his guns, having only returned from sick leave a few days before, and having only actually rejoined his battery on the morning of the day he lost his life.  Though he had been abroad for several years past, he is probably not forgotten in Naas as a cricketer, having often played for the Co. Kildare and Na Shuler teams.  He was distinguished at Eton both on the running path and as a footballer, having been a member of the “Field” (the name given at Eton to the football eleven) for two years, and in the second year one of the “keepers” (equivalent to captains), the other being the Hon. G. Lyttleton.  He was also “keeper” of the Eton association football.  After leaving Eton he went to Trinity College, Oxford, for a short time, but wishing to go about the world, he left and went to the School of Mines at Camborne, where he took his degree as a mining engineer.  While at Camborne he played Rugby football for the School of Mines XV.  He went to British Columbia from there, and was in the midst of a very prosperous career when war broke out.  He then enlisted in the Canadian Naval Volunteers and served several months as an A.B. and later as a leading seaman.  When the German raiders in the Pacific ceased to exist, he took his discharge and came home, and was given a commission in his father’s old regiment – the Royal Artillery.  He went to France in November, 1915, and with the exception of two periods of sick leave, had been there up to the time of his death.  He leaves a widow and a small boy of five years old.


Second-Lieut. B. L. De Robeck, R.F.A.

The sad news has arrived of the death of Private John Cooke, Irish Guards, who died of wounds in France on 31st July.  He was the second brother of Sergeant William Cooke, D.C.M., Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who was killed in the Dardanelles in October, 1915; also brother of Pte. Robert Cooke, Durham Light Infantry, who is now serving his third year in France.


Miss B. Manahan, nurse, who had been on hospital duty at the base, was home in Celbridge for the past few weeks on leave.  She returned to France on Thursday evening of last week.


The monument in Market Square, Baltinglass, which was erected to the memory of Michael Dwyer and McAllister, was daubed with paint and part of it wrenched away on Saturday night.  Much indignation has been aroused.


Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: