U17 KDUL Final


May 7th 2011

Venue Tougher Park


Kilcock Celtic 5 Kynog United 0


The KDUL new ground,


Park was in great condition for this Under 17s Cup Final.

Based on their league form, Kynog United were favourites coming into the final but Celtic had the bonus of a number of key players returning from injury.

Kilcock started very brightly with Ian Mooney and Fergal O’Brien raiding down the wings. Mooney broke the deadlock after seven minutes when he dribbled from the left wing into the box and slid the ball past the advancing keeper into the bottom right hand corner of the net.


Kynog began to settle down and began to produce a number of attacking moves. After twenty minutes Stephen Byrne won the ball just outside his own box and found Evan Treacy on the halfway line, Treacy released Donal McGrath and his shot from the edge of the box just went the wrong side of the post.

A strong cross field wind persisted to blow through-out the game and United continued to put-in long balls, but Celtic’s back four of Dane Hoban, Adam Leonard, Leon Glennon and William McCarty coped well with the windy conditions.

On the half hour mark Kilcock’s Dafydd Jones won a corner on the right wing. The in-swinging kick was met first-time on the volley by Diarmuid Ryan and his shot nestled in the back of the net.


United fought hard to get back into the game before the interval and Ciaran Baselman had an effort from the edge of the box clear the crossbar.


Immediately after the interval Celtic got their third, Leon Glennon set up Fergal O’Brien and his effort from the right edge of the box found the roof of the net at the near post. Kynog continued to produce chances and Celtic’s goalie Paddy Connell had to be on his toes to deny United on a number of occasions.


Kilcock made a number of changes and introduced Eoin McArdle, Niall Walker, Conor Byrne, Gavin Byrne and James Farrell. Celtic’s replacement keeper Conor Byrne was immediately forced into the action and had to make a succession of saves. Kilcock’s Walker and Farrell had an impact and Donal Byrne and Blaine Tracey had to work hard to prevent them from getting on the score sheet.


With twenty minutes remaining Darren O’Connor set up Shane O’Rourke and his dipping shot from thirty yards found the roof of the net. O’Connor and O’Rourke were now dominant in midfield and continued to put Kynog’s defence under pressure.


With minutes remaining O’Rourke was fouled on the edge of the box and Eoin McArdle’s subsequent daisy-cutter free kick found the back of the net to round off a fine performance. 


Man of the Match: Ian Mooney (Kilcock Celtic).

Kilcock Celtic: (back row) Gavin Byrne, Conor Byrne, Ian Mooney, Paddy Connell, Darren O’Connor, Eoin McArdle, Dafydd Jones, William McCarty, Dane Hoban, Adam Leonaed, Leon Glennon, (front row) Neil Vorster, Conor Dully, James Farrell, Shane O’Rourke, Niall Walker, Fergal O’Brien, Diarmuid O’Rian.

by raydully on May 12, 2011 ·

Previous post:

Next post: