Kildare has many significant historical remains scattered throughout its ancient lands, from the 18th Century canals to hills and standing stones.
The hill of Allen is situated four miles to the north-west of Newbridge, Co. Kildare. Also known as the hill of Almhuin "the Great Neck", it rises 676ft in height and is surrounded by the Bog of Allen.
In 1751 a Board of Inland Navigation began planning a system of canals, and by 1756 work on the Dublin to Athy Canal had commenced. In 1780 the work on the canal had reached Oberstown, and by 1783 it stretched as far as Robertstown. In 1786 the canal had reached Monasterevin and finally, in 1791, it reached Athy.
Punchestown Standing Stone is the largest of eight longstones in Co. Kildare. Made of granite it is nineteen and a half feet above ground and eleven feet in circumference. A quarter of a mile to the west is another longstone, at Craddockstown.
Buildings - Genealogy
- Religious Sites - Famine - 1798 - Miscellaneous