|| The main line of the Grand Canal runs from Ringsend in Dublin
City to the River Shannon at Shannon Harbour, a total distance of 82 miles
/ 131 kms with 43 locks. The Barrow Line of the Canal branches off at Lowtown
and joins the River Barrow at Athy in South Kildare. Work began on the canal
in 1756 and was completed by 1793 and was used by passenger boats until
the 1850's however commercial barges remained on the canal until the 1960's.
Hire a barge at either Tullamore, Rathangan or Levittstown and cruise through
the counties exploring it's many hidden treasures and magnificent landscape.
Follow our map and visit the major towns along the canal in the two counties.