Senior Cup Semi-Final Kilcock Win

Republic of Ireland Supporters Senior Cup – Semifinal

Kilcullen 2  Kilcock Celtic 2
after extra time 

Kilcock win 3-1 on pens

Kilcock Celtic senior (seconds) advanced to their first ever cup final when they
disposed of Kilcullen in a penalty shootout in Kilcullen on Sunday last. (See Match Reports for more….)  Well Done Lads

Both teams created a number of chances in the opening half hour as they played
in excellent conditions at the Kilcullen community complex but neither side could break the deadlock.

It was Kilcullen who opened the scoring after 33 minutes.
Kilcock failed to clear the ball and a Kilcullen player hit the back of the visitors net with a shot from twenty five yards.

However Kilcock responded well and were back on level terms within two minutes.
Lorcan Fagan’s free kick took a deflection off the Kilcullen wall leaving the Kilcullen keeper with no chance.

In the second half both teams continued to play good football, they created chances but could not convert any.
Kilcullen were unlucky not to go in front after seventy-five minutes when a shot from outside the box hit the post and the ball was cleared off the line by Alan O’ Brien

Kilcock also had their chances to score, Eoin Moriaity and David O’Hanlon were both denied by the Kilcullen keeper.

Extra time was now needed to decide the winner of this close encounter.

Kilcock hit the front after five minutes of the first period of extra time when Lorcan Fagan finished well from inside the Kilcullen box.

Kilcullen got a equaliser six minutes into the second period of extra time when Kilcullen were awarded a penalty which they converted to make the score level at 2-2

Kilcock keeper Alex Leckey became the hero for Kilcock as he saved three penalties in the shoot out, while Kilcock’s Darren Gavin, Brendan Brady and Lorcan Fagan all netted to send Kilcock into the final

Best for Kilcock were keeper Alex Leckey, Paul  Doran, Dennis Glesson and Lorcan Fagan

Kilcock Celtic manager Michael Montague spoke to KilcockCeltic.IE after the game

“I am so delighted for the players as they will get something for all their efforts this season
This will the first time that the clubs  2nd senior team will play in cup final. This was a tough game for us today  but with hard work , effort and luck we got there in the end. Hopefully we can win the cup final,  which will be played in October 2010.

Kilcock Team: Alex Leckey, David Byrne, Paul Doran, James Towing, Dennis Glesson, Alan O’Brien, Chris O’Meara, Lorcan Fagan, David O’Hanlon, Keith Gill, Eoin Moriarty, Darren Gavin, Brendan Brady, Gavin Dalton, Stephen Byrne.  Manager: Michael Montague

by raydully on September 27, 2010 ·

Previous post:

Next post: