Weekend Round Up July 17th

NA Meats Lumsden League Cup
Liffey Celtic  2  Kilcock Cettic 1

Hill Electrical Division 3
Kilcock Celtic 5 Walshestown  2

Youths U19 –
Kilcock Celtic 2 Kingstown 7

Stonerock Ltd Women’s Section
Kilcock Celtic 8 Kildare Town  0

(Continue reading in Match Reports Section)

NA Meats Lumsden League Cup – Round 3
Liffey Celtic  2  Kilcock Cettic 1

This was a game that was anything but a classic with the wet and windy conditions conditions doing neither team any favours. Liffey had all the ball without creating any clearcut chances with one or two long range efforts from Martin Stafford and Fintan Donnelly which were well saved by the Kilcock keeper.
It was midway through the first half when Liffey took the lead through a Robbie Cullen penalty after a moment of madness by a Kilcock defender from a Liffey corner when he fouled Martin Stafford leaving the referee no alternative but to point to the penalty spot.
It was more of the same in the second half with Kilcock starting to come more into the game. They were to come undone again with a stunning Martin Stafford strike after great work from Brian Murphy and Fintan Donnelly. Kilcock then pushed on to try and salvage something and got their just rewards in the 70th minute with a well taken goal from their centre half. Despite further pressure late in the game from Kilcock it was the Senior Division leaders, who progressed to round four. They were best served by Martin Stafford, Brian Collins, Fintan Donnelly and man of the match Brian Murphy.


Hill Electrical Division 3
Kilcock Celtic 5 Walshestown FC 2
Celtic moved to within three points of leaders Barnhall Rovers who dropped two points when they could only manage a draw away to Bush Celtic, and have the advantage of a game in hand following this win over Walshestown. It was not all plain sailing however for Michael Montague’s side as they had to recover from a shock opener from the visitors when Paul Nolan set up Mick Curran to score a well-executed goal. David O’Hanlon levelled for the North Kildare side on eighteen minutes and Chris O’Meara put them in front with a fine strike from twenty-five yards ten minutes before the break.
Kilcock had the advantage of a strong wind in the second half and it looked as if a rout might have been on the cards when Lorcan Fagan’s superb strike from thirty yards beat Walshestown’s keeper Wayne Kavanagh just five minutes into the second half. The visitors however were not about to roll over and they put up a stern resistance and posed a few threats themselves. The fat was really and truly in the fire for highflying Kilcock when Paul Cahill neatly flicked to the home net to put the minimum between the sides with fourteen minutes remaining.
A fine strike by Davy Gallagher gave Celtic some breathing space and Eoin Moriarity made sure of the points with a fifth Kilcock goal seven minutes from time. This was a brave display by a Walshestown side, to whom the final scorline does not do justice. They had excellent performances from Mick Curran, Craig Holman and Paul Cahill. Kilcock for whom Eoin Moriarity and Davy Gallager were outstanding, will be happy with the points as they battle to overtake long time leaders Barnhall as the league enters the business end of things.

Youths U19 – Kilcock Celtic 2 Kingstown 7

Celtic were outplayed by a very strong Kingstown side in the first half. The visitors opened the coring after five minutes and were two nil up within the ten minute mark. The home team got back in the game after fifteen minutes with a well taken goal by Shane O’Rourke. Brian McNamara nearly levelled the game with a well place header but Kingstown keeper pulled off a great save.

Celtic conceded another two goals in quick succession before Ryan O’Connell dribbled into the box and scored from eighteen yards. Just when it looked like the home side were getting to grips with the game, Kingstown scored another two goals before the break.

Kilcock changed formation after the break and created a number of chances. But Kingstown keeper pulled off a number of fine saves to prevent and hope of a revival. Late on in the game Kingstown capitalised on a defensive error to score the final score in the game.

by raydully on July 18, 2011 ·

Previous post:

Next post: